- Advance your career and be a part of a leading mining company in Laos
- Lead welding and fabrication maintenance for a large mobile mining fleet – strong focus on safety and skills development of the team
- Attractive fly in, fly out roster and conditions
This is an exciting time to join Phu Bia Mining. Our Phu Kham Copper-Gold Operation is in its seventh year of production, our Ban Houaxyai Gold-Silver Operation commenced production in 2012 and we have a pipeline of exploration projects in Laos. Laos is a safe, developing country, located in the heart of South East Asia. Laos is a safe, developing country, located in the heart of South East Asia. It is bordered by Thailand, Cambodia, Burma, Vietnam and China, making it the ideal base for expatriates interested in travelling during their rostered breaks.
Phu Bia Mining is part of the ASX 100 company, PanAust, and offers experienced mining professionals the opportunity to advance their career by contributing to the development and continuous improvement of the operations, standards, systems and processes that will underpin our future growth. As an employer who values diversity, we encourage women to apply for all available positions. By joining our team, you will play an important role in developing our highly motivated Lao national workforce in line with our commitment to localisation.
We offer an attractive salary package and fly in, fly out roster that includes travel in company time. Our modern mine camps provide a range of Western and Asian food and sport and recreational facilities, including football field, gym, pool tables and wet mess.
This position is based at our Phu Kham Copper-Gold Operation, located approximately 120km north of the Lao capital, Vientiane. Phu Kham is a conventional open pit mine producing approximately 70,000 tonnes of copper concentrate annually. The process plant, recently upgraded to a design capacity of 19 million tonnes per annum, comprises a SAG mill and two ball mill grinding circuits, each rated at 13 megawatts, with copper and precious metal recovery by flotation.
Reporting to the Mobile Maintenance Superintendent, you will be responsible for managing a multinational team to perform welding and fabrication on our large mobile mining fleet, as well as light vehicles and auxiliary equipment. The mining fleet consists of approximately 120 units, primarily Caterpillar and Komatsu trucks, excavators, dozers and graders. You will play a key part in facilitating the skills development of Lao National welders through regular mentoring and on-the-job training.
This is an excellent opportunity to really make a difference and see your team grow and develop as a direct result of your efforts.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Managing the welding and fabrication team ensuring all types of repair and modifications on the mining and auxiliary fleet
- Leading by example on safety, ensuring that safety processes and procedures are followed, with a focus on zero harm
- Ensuring established preventative maintenance programs are effectively implemented to minimize the breakdown and meet availability targets
- Providing clear and correct decisions through positive communication within the mobile maintenance team
- Actively participate in the implementation of the requirements for Caterpillar “5 star rating”
- Developing and maintain a culture focused on delivering best practice maintenance and safety outcomes
To be successful in this role, you will require:
- Trade qualification in Heavy Equipment Welding
- Proven experience at Supervisor or similar level with a large mining contractor, owner miner or OEM
- Strong experiences in structural welding repairs on heavy equipment such as Caterpillar and Komatsu
- Outstanding leadership and interpersonal skills coupled with solid focus on safety
- Strong commitment to supporting the growth of National employees
- Unwavering commitment to safety